A form of back pain is a slipped disk and it affect up o 80 percent of people.It can be painful and normally affects the lower back, causing pain in the legs.
Human spine is made up of a series of stacked bones known as vertebrae and each bone is cushioned by disks that protect the bones from:
- -daily wear
- tear from walking, lifting and twisting .
- age as the outer ring of the disk becomes worn, torn and weak
- aging soft inner part of the disk slips out
- twisting, turning or lifting heavy objects
- weak muscles from little movement or exercise can also increase the risk for a herniated disk.
- most herniated disks appear in the lower back
- some occur in the neck
- it can be painful
- arm and/or leg pain
- shoulder and/or arm pain
- numbness or tingling
- weakness. You might experience a weakness that causes you to stumble, or you might have trouble lifting or holding things in your arms.
If you recognize any of these signs:
- make an appointment with your doctor to talk about your symptoms
- you might need over-the-counter drugs, cortisone injections or muscle relaxants
- doctor might also suggest physical therapy to help manage the pain or even surgery to remove the part of the disk that’s sticking out and causing the problems.